Molasses is a sweetener that may actually be good for you. Molasses contains significant amounts of minerals that promote good health. Refined white sugar and corn syrup are stripped of virtually all nutrients except simple carbohydrates, and artificial sweeteners like saccharine or aspartame also do not provide nutrients but have in fact been shown to cause health problems in certain individuals. Molasses is an All Natural and healthier alternative and offers these minerals:
- Iron – an integral part of hemoglobin which transports oxygen from the lungs to all cells of the body.
- Calcium – needed to form and maintain strong bones and teeth especially during early years, and helps prevent bone loss during menopause and as a result of rheumatoid arthritis.
- Copper – needed in a wide range of physiological processes including iron utilization, elimination of free radicals, development of bone and connective tissue.
- Manganese - involved in the synthesis of fatty acids crucial to a healthy nervous system.
- Potassium – plays an important role in muscle and heart contraction, as well as nerve transmission.
- Magnesium – calcium’s major balancing mineral, also necessary for healthy bones.