Looking at these pictures, I am reminded of why I love CrossFit. I can see the agony and determination on our faces. What’s more difficult to see is the the elation. This was one of the most fun and challenging competitions I’ve ever experienced. The pictures are from the Mid-Atlantic Affiliate Challenge, a team competition for CrossFitters from the entire Mid-Atlantic region. This weekend I’ll be competing for a second time. A lot has happened in the last year, including a shoulder injury, a lot of time off and rehab. Leading up to this point every time I think about it I fight back the urge to toss my cookies. All the old self-doubts surface. Am I ready to compete again? Will I hurt my shoulder? What if I let my teammates down? And so, on. What's worse is after last year I know just how bad it hurts physically. Why on Earth then, would I voluntarily put myself through the agony once again?
3 Reasons to drink the CrossFit KoolAid
Apr 11, 2014
Topics: Personal Training, health fitness tips, Merritt blog, Weight Loss, baltimore gyms, help with weight loss, workout routine to lose weight, fitness, Mid-Atlantic Affiliate Challenge, Fitness workout, Personal trainer, merritt charm city crossfit, Baltimore fitness, get healthy, diet lifestyle change, group fitness
Make Personal Training Work for You!
Jan 25, 2013
There are plenty of personal trainers out there willing to take your money and give you a workout. The question is - how do you know which traineris right for you?
Ask some key questions of yourself before approaching a trainer:
1. What is my goal (Weight loss? Overall toning? Better cardio health?)
2. How much time can I commit? (Most trainers will want to meet at least twice a week when beginning with a new client.)
3. Am I willing to change my diet? (Many trainers will ask to see a food log.)
4. By what date do I hope to meet my goal? (Be realistic - trainers are not magicians. If you are not sure what a realistic target is, most trainers are equipped to help with that.)
Then, with those answers in hand, ask some key questions of potential trainers:
1. What certifications do you hold? (There are many certifying bodies. Your goal here is to ensure that your trainer has attained the education necessary to ensure your safety.)
2. What is your training style? (Functional or real life training? Agility for athletes? Helping clients lose weight? You might also ask if the trainer has any prior clients you can speak to. Some carry a portfolio of before and after pictures, which are helpful if your goal is to lose weight or change your appearance.)
3. Do you carry insurance? (Trainers usually carry liability insurance. Some may be covered by their workplace.) By matching your desires to a trainer's style and abilities, you have the best shot of finding a training professional who can help you achieve your goals. Don't forget that you're in charge of the trainer/client relationship. Ask questions that ensure you are getting what you need and want from personal training.
Contact us for more information!
Topics: Personal Training, Merritt blog, best trainers, health clubs, workout routine to lose weight, Fitness Tips, how to get healthy, fitness goals, best workout plans, best workouts, pt in baltimore, healthy diets
Reasons why you shouldn't weigh yourself every day
Mar 22, 2012
There is an obsession with the number on the scale and people weigh in a lot in one day; when they wake up, before working out, after running, after a fitness class, after weight training, before they eat, after they eat, before going to bed. The most common one I see is people weigh in before and after working out and having a disappointed look. Are they expecting a big number after one workout that was probably an hour or less?
Topics: weight loss workouts, workout routine to lose weight, Fitness Tips, loose weight fast, how to get healthy, weight loss healthy, get healthy, best fitness tips, nutrition, healthy weight loss
Mentally Connect to Your Workouts
Nov 21, 2011
Its that time of year, holiday season, when you need to check out and gain some much needed R&R because of all the chaos. It is also unfortunately the time most people mentally check out. So I ask you… Are you mentally connected to your workouts?
Topics: workout tips, Clubs in Baltimore, Holiday Season Weight Gain, health fitness tips, workout routine to lose weight, Fitness Tips, Fitness workout
Fitness Tip 19:
Topics: workout tips, body fitness, health fitness tips, exercise tips, nutrition tips, Reagan and the Mix Morning Show, workout routine to lose weight, Fitness Tips, toneitup, charmcityrun, training and weight loss, build muscle lose fat, Jojo, heath tips
1. Keep a journal of what you eat.
Record what you eat, the amount you eat, where you eat and what you’re doing when you eat. Note patterns you may want to change.
Topics: workout tips, Personal Training, way to lose weight, health fitness tips, lose weight fat, workout routine to lose weight, Fitness Tips, eating to lose weight, how to get rid of fat, how to lose weight fast, ways to lose belly fat