Joining a fitness club is a big financial commitment and so finding the right facility that you will enjoy going to is critical to making the most out of your monthly dues. Take a tour, ask lots of questions and try out the fitness club first before signing any contract. Here are five things that you should keep in mind while you are searching for your fitness club.
- Location is number one. Even if the fitness club across town has the newest equipment, best classes or nicest facilities, if you have to travel more than 10 minutes out of your way, chances of you making the time to go consistently significantly decreases. Choose a fitness club that is located within 5 miles from work, home, or school. Having the club close will make it a lot easier to get to that spin class on time after a crazy day at work.
- Examine the equipment. Take note of what type of equipment you like to use and then make sure the fitness club has enough of it. How many treadmills are there? What is the lightest and heaviest dumbbell? Is there a time limit on the cardio machines? What type of audio and entertainment system does each machine have? Take inventory of equipment and make sure there are enough of the things you know you like to do.
- Talk about the fitness classes. If you enjoy taking fitness classes, then you’ll want to make sure you ask if there’s an extra fee for classes and to see a schedule of classes. Other questions that you’ll want to ask is if the classes change often, or if you have to sign-up for classes in advance. Ask to try out your favorite type of class before you sign a contract to get a feeling for how the classes go.
- Notice how staff interacts with the members. Having a fitness club that you feel comfortable asking for help when you need it is important. Staff should be friendly, helpful and well groomed.
- Questions about the contract. Cost will probably be the deciding factor of joining any fitness club so make sure you understand what you’re signing up for. Don’t forget to ask if you can cancel anytime, what sign-up and enrollment fees there are, if you can bring guests with you and if there are other clubs that you can go to with your membership.
When it comes down to joining a fitness club, you want to find one that feels right, one that you’ll want to go to and one that has the right fees. With a lot of locations, classes, variety of equipment, the Merritt Athletic Club has a lot to offer to anybody looking at joining a fitness club. contact us to talk to a membership specialist.