February is American Heart Month and we are getting heart healthy! We want to help you learn all about how to keep your heart in shape and little ways to add activity to your day. You owe it to yourself and your family to take care of your body, and it can be fun to get your body healthy.
Check out this fact sheet to learn about heart disease and ways it can be prevented.
- Take Cycle or BODYATTACK classes to get your heart rate up
- Check your blood pressure regularly
- Find excuses to walk more
- Pay attention to food labels and watch your fat intake
- Use a heart-rate monitor or MYZONE belt to monitor your heart during workouts
- Take the stairs whenever possible
- Try these healthy red plant foods
My Blog: Challenge Accepted: Workout While I Work – Since I work at a desk job, I am often sitting for at least 8 hours a day, with very minimal standing/moving (usually followed by vigorous TV watching as you know…) My challenge this month is to find ways to be more active at work and in general. To do this, I plan to set times for myself to stand every hour at work, do chair exercises, and take more cardio classes outside of work. Join me won’t you?
Merritt Monday is February 5 - Take care of your adorable/awesome pumping ventricles with a free blood pressure test, pick up a fact sheet about your most precious organ, and wear red to receive a free small smoothie
February 12-16 - Member Appreciation Week! Join us all week in your club for special events.
Your Heart-healthy Workout:
- 20 minutes on the treadmill/bike
- 30 seconds of jumping jacks (repeat 3 times)
- 30 seconds of high knees (repeat 2 times)
- 10 jump squats (repeat 1 time)
- 10 push ups