Some of my favorite clean foods are oatmeal with cinnamon, banana and almonds. And another one we can consider a clean food but need to be really careful with is… Dark Chocolate.
Dark chocolate contains a higher percentage of cocoa compared with milk or white chocolate. The power in chocolate comes from flavonoids (a phytochemical found in the cacao bean), an antioxidant that can help your health, reduce bad cholesterol, reduce blood pressure and help circulation.
When the word chocolate comes up as being a power food (the darker version), we can go a little crazy but we need to remind ourselves about portion control. Yes, the incredible antioxidants are there, but it can also contain high amounts of sugar, calories and fat if consumed in large amounts.
Ok, back to my favorite foods coming together into one delicious and healthy meal you can have maybe once or twice a week.
- 1/2 cup unsweetened almond milk
- 1/2 cup of water
- 1/2 cup old fashioned oats
- 1/2 medium bananas (cut in slices)
- 1 tbsp. raw blanched slivered almonds
- 1 tbsp. dark chocolate chips
- Ground cinnamon
Calories 299 ~ Fat 11 grams ~ Sodium 90mg ~ Carbs 48g ~ Fiber 9g ~ Sugar 14g ~ Protein 9g
To make the oatmeal, just follow the directions (boil the liquid, then add the oats and simmer for 3-5 minutes). When your oatmeal is done add the remaining ingredients as topping and sprinkle with ground cinnamon.
And your breakfast is done.... Enjoy!!!
- To increase protein content, you can add 1/2 scoop of protein powder.
- Most of the sugar from this recipe comes from the banana.
- Sunspire - Organic 65% Cacao Chocolate Chips were used in this recipe (If you can find 70% or more, then I strongly recommend it).