When you're at home, it might be easy to focus on preparing healthy meals, heading to the gym for a workout and otherwise working toward your health and weight loss goals. However, chances are good that you spend a good part of your week in the office, which can make it tough for you to really stay serious about losing weight. To stay on the right track, remember these three important weight loss tips, even when you're at the office. Doing so can make a big difference in how quickly you achieve your goals and can have an impact on your overall health.
1. Drink Plenty of Water
Although you might find yourself constantly reaching for a bottle of water when you're spending more time outdoors or working out, you might not be drinking as much water as you should while you're in the office. However, it is critical to stay properly hydrated if you want to avoid drinking unhealthy drinks and eating too much. Plus, drinking plenty of water throughout the day is good for your overall health.
The tiny paper cups that are offered beside the water cooler aren't enough -- instead, consider investing in a big insulated water bottle that you can fill up throughout the day and keep at your desk.
2. Make Healthy Eating a Priority
Healthy eating should always be a top priority, even when you're at the office. This can be challenging when you want to eat something quickly on your lunch break or when you're having an office party and everyone is bringing in tempting treats. These are a few tips that can help you stay on the right track:
- Don't let your coffee consumption get out of control. Although there is nothing wrong with black coffee, adding cream and sugar can quickly turn your coffee into a very unhealthy drink. Plus, you have to worry about the effects of excess caffeine. Consider switching to black, decaffeinated coffee after your first cup in the morning, or keep it to one cup per day.
- Skip the sugary sodas and other unhealthy drinks in the soda machine, and stick to water from the water cooler instead.
- Consider bringing a healthy snack to work each day to tide you over until lunch -- this will prevent you from raiding the vending machine or overindulging on your lunch break.
- When it's time for an office party, consider munching on the fruit and vegetable tray first. Then, you won't eat as much of the unhealthy offerings.
- Make an effort to bring your lunch to each day. Then, you'll have better control over what you eat, and you will save money, too. If you aren't able to bring your lunch to work, look for healthy takeout options so that you can order a salad with a protein, a healthy sandwich on wheat bread or a brothy soup.
3. Get Up and Walk Around
Sitting at your desk for eight hours a day just isn't good for your body. Make an effort to get up and walk around as much as you can -- every extra calorie that you burn can really add up, and getting up and on your feet more often is better for your overall health, too. Consider taking a brisk walk on your lunch break, and take the stairs instead of the elevator when you can. Even walking around your office while you're on the telephone and standing up when you're reading your mail can help make a difference. Also, hitting the gym first thing in the morning or right after work can help you fit in a workout without allowing yourself time to get too busy with something else.
It can be easy to lose sight of your weight loss goals and can be tough to maintain a healthy lifestyle when you spend most of your time in the office. Luckily, however, if you follow these tips and contact us to find out more about joining our athletic club, you can stay on the right track.