St. Patrick's Day, one of the biggest eating and drinking holidays in the US, has come and gone. But that doesn't mean we should stop the green eating! Instead, try some of our registered dietitian Charlotte Martin's favorite healthy green recipes below, which can be enjoyed year round.
Also, checkout this clip to watch Charlotte share these recipes on Baltimore's WJZ.
Avocado Pistachio Pesto Dip
• 2 cups lightly packed fresh basil leaves
• 1/4 cup roasted & salted, shelled pistachios
• 1/4 cup pine nuts
• 1/4 cup nutritional yeast
• 2 cloves of garlic
• 1/4 teaspoon fine grain sea salt
• 1 Tbsp olive oil
• 1 Tbsp fresh squeezed lemon juice
• 2 Tbsp water, plus additional as needed
• 1 medium ripe avocado, peeled and pitted
1. Combine first 9 ingredients in a food processor and pulse until smooth and creamy. Add avocado, and pulse until smooth and creamy. Serve!
Lean n’ Green Waffles
• ½ cup rolled oats
• ½ tsp baking powder
• ½ tsp cinnamon
• 2 egg whites
• 1 large handful fresh spinach
• 1 small extra-ripe banana
• ¼ cup plain Greek yogurt
• ½ tsp vanilla extract
1. Combine first 3 ingredients in a blender, and pulse until oats are a flour-like consistency. Add remaining ingredients and blend until smooth.
2. Pour mixture into a preheated waffle maker and cook until mixture is set.
Superfood Shamrock Shake
• 1 frozen banana
• 1 handful fresh spinach
• 2 Tbsp chopped fresh mint leaves
• 2 tablespoons almond or cashew butter
• ¼ teaspoon vanilla extract
• 1 cup unsweetened vanilla almond or cashew milk
• 1 scoop vanilla protein powder
1. Blend all ingredients in a blender until smooth and creamy. Add ice if desired.
Broccoli Tot Bites
• 2 cups frozen riced broccoli, cooked according to package directions
• 1 egg
• ½ cup almond flour
• ½ cup shredded cheddar cheese
• ½ tsp garlic powder
• ½ tsp onion powder
• ¼ tsp salt
1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
2. Combine all ingredients in a medium-sized bowl. Use your hands to form veggie mixture into tot-shaped pieces and place on prepared baking sheet.
3. Bake until browned, about 20 to 25 minutes, flipping halfway through.